Sunday, September 12, 2010

Guess what I Just got called to be....

the Ward Activity Chair.  Yes, again.

This is how it went.

1st counselor:  "We've been praying as a bishopric hard about this one and we'd like to extend the call of ward activity chair to you."

Me:  (had this feeling I was going to be called as the Activity Chair and instead of feeling excited and ready to run with it, like I had the previous 3 times, felt intimidated, scared, and was secretly hoping to be called to teach the 5 year old kids in primary.  Why was I so scared?  Because this ward is in dyer need of some serious unity and is made up of mostly mothers who are doing all they can to keep their family afloat while their husbands are deployed in Afghanistan.  Plus, there was a lady wearing horns (it was a head band) in church the previous sunday...yes you read that right. The thought of Activity Chair just feels a bit overwhelming and who am I to know what to do, I just moved into the ward.)

Me:  "What are your goals for me as the Activity Chair?"

1st Counselor:  "We really need the activities in the ward to help unite our ward and create a community among the ward members.  Where you hear two Sundays ago?"

Me:  "Yes."  (This was the 2 hour combined R.S. and Preisthood where several women vocalized how they do not feel included, feel like they've been treated like "dog do do" ...mhmm their exact phrase.)

1st Counselor:  "Then you know what I mean."

Thank goodness I believe that the Lord will lead and direct us in whatever calling He gives.  I do believe He knows how to succor the people of the Clarksville 2nd ward and pray the Spirit will fill my mind and heart with what He'd have as "Uniting Ward Activities."

11 comments:

  1. Amber, this ward NEEDS you! What a blessing you will be to them!!! They need your love, optimism, friendship, acceptance, faith, and happiness. You brought such unity and love to our ward. I think everyone felt loved and included in your activities. Good luck! If anyone can help bring this ward together, it is YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel and Kate JohnsonSeptember 13, 2010 at 5:26 AM

    Oh Amber, what a challenge! But I believe you are up to it. Even though this ward may be more challenging in terms of participation and energy, I am sure that through your inspiration and faith, you will make a big difference in this ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. They definitely prayed about that one and have no idea what a good choice they made. i love you and miss you and listen to the CD you gave me all the time. You will be such a blessing to them Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord will guide you in this calling, Amber. You have such a wonderful, happy spirit and will be a big part of uniting your ward. We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...horns, really?! I know you will do a wonderful job. The Lord has definitely placed you in many positions throughout your life where you have gained experience and leadership you will need. You are amazing. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, good luck girl! I KNOW you will do great though. Why else would you be called to that AGAIN? The good thing to think about though... you can do a lot of the same activities you did in your past wards. The current ward members don't have to know that right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone. You were brought on earth to help people feel loved and included (among other things, of course.) And I'm a big fan of you resurrecting activities you've done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I just read through your last few posts and there have sure been some crazy times going on in your life right now. Good thing you are such an amazing woman. I just know you will be able to handle it. Your new calling perfectly suits you and I know that you will really be able to help out this ward. The Lord knows what he is doing and will be with you 110% of the way. You're incredible ... and greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber Lee, I just read your adventurous trek to your first duty station... Makes ours sound like a trip to Disney Land. We are not in a "military ward" so I do not share the same experiences you have, that sounds very intense. We have over a year here at Great Lakes and we like it. You guys planning on making it a career? I know there can be allot of pressure to stick around for the twenty... at least in the Navy. I do think that you and Heather would make great friends, that is pretty cool you follow her Blog stories. She is quit talented at writing her feelings. Anywho, I think you are great and good luck with your new calling!

    -Travis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Amber~
    You are so amazing and will be the perfect person for this job. You have such an uplifting spirit about you that no matter what you do and whatever activities you come up with, I know that those women will feel included because you are so amazing. I have noticed how our ward has lacked Amber McArthur. We miss your get togethers and your fun happy spirit. You are amazing and definitely perfect for this position. To answer your question the other place we were deciding on was Lincoln, Nebraska. I love and miss you. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amber, I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but seriously, no person is better qualified. You are so full of life, faith, and pure joy! And dang, can you plan parties! :) Most importantly though, you exude true love for all of those around you. I'm sure through your hands, the Lord will work some great miracles.

    ReplyDelete