Sunday, April 5, 2009

General Conference

I l-o-v-e that twice a year we dedicate a whole weekend to hearing the words of our prophet, apostles, and church leaders! I love how their words give me a renewed desire to serve more, make the temple a PRIORITY, be more patient with my children, and appreciate what I have and not want for more. I know that the Lord speaks to us through President Monson! Watching him talk, feels like watching a loving great grandfather who desires for us all to love living and make happy choices so we can feel joy in the journey. The story he shared about the pioneer mother who burried all 4 or 5 (can't remember) of her children along the way made me feel so selfish in my daily complaints. I have two beautiful, healthy boys who bring so much more laughter and love to my life than I could ever imagine.

Tonight was quite comical. After giving hair cuts, the boys jumped in the shower with Doug to rinse off. Talon fell asleep almost immediately in Doug's arms. We took a picture of him sleeping on Dad in the shower. Of course he woke up when I took him out and got him ready for bed. That little cat nap brought out the extreme emotions as I tried to put him to bed without his pacifier (somehow it got lost today). I tried to hold him and pat his back, but he's so big that I can only do it for about 3-5 minutes and my back feels like it's going to break. He's such a snuggler that I feel bad that have such a hard time holding him. So I decided to lay down on the bed and just snuggle. He layed there quietly for about 2 minutes and then he would pop his head up and just give me the biggest smile. Then he'd drop his head back down on my shoulder and pat my arm. This lastest until he decided that blowing raspberries would be fun. Then Jaxon came to bed. Talon and Jax are frequently asking to go to sleep together in the same bed, so I thought maybe we'd try it since we didn't have a pacifier to soothe him. The boys looked so calm and happy together, until we closed the door. Then the excitement began. Doug and I watched on our video monitor and saw the following:
  1. Talon pop up, giggle, turn to Jax and pat his back.
  2. Doug would yell, "Talon, lay down."
  3. Talon would look around and go "huh?" and lay back down.
  4. Talon climb on Jax and start to wrestle him all while giggling.
  5. Repeat #2-3
  6. Jax yelling, "Talon stop"..."Lay down"..."No Talon"...
  7. Belly laughs coming from both kids
  8. Jax hitting Talon back
  9. Doug yelling, "Boys, lay down and go to sleep."
  10. Jax would immediately lay down while Talon would look around and laugh.
  11. Talon still wanting to play, lays on top of Jax.
  12. Jax then pics Talon up and bodyslams him of the bed.
  13. Talon cries...we go in and put them back in bed.
  14. Repeat #1-11
  15. Jax decides no more nonsense with Talon and lays at the foot of the bed, attempts to go to sleep.
  16. Talon, thinks that's funny and continues to play.
  17. Jax then yells, "Daddy, put Talon in his crib!"
So it didn't turn out so well, but the good news is that an hour after we attempted to put Talon down, we did find the pacifier under our bed. THANK GOODNESS!

Back to conference, during this process, Doug and I delighted in watching our boys interact and learning that Talon is definitely a instigator and Jaxon is a problem solver. We could have been upset that they didn't listen to us but instead we just laughed. What a joy children are! I just love my beautiful boys so much and am so thankful that they love playing together! Joy in the Journey right!

7 comments:

  1. those are awesome videos!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scenario with the boys sounds so familiar ;) So what's your secret to getting anything out of conference while you have 2 high energy boys around? I'm going to have to read through all the talks soon to catch what I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B would be all over an older sibling if he had one! I could see him doing the exact same thing as Talon! I know what you mean about holding them - they are so heavy, yet you're not quite ready to give them up to be toddlers. I am in the same situation! Cute boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that you have a video monitor to watch them in action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious!!!! We're getting into that...aren't boys the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daniel and Kate JohnsonApril 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM

    Daniel and I could not stop laughing after that second video! Those boys are so stinkin' cute. And they have two incredible parents, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are so cute! I'm glad you had a good attitude about them not listening to you guys. You are such a good example to the rest of us who would probably freak (like me). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete