Monday, September 28, 2009

Count your many blessings...

So this morning we wake up to our doorbell ringing at 7:30am. I hear a lady outside say, "Is this it?" I asked Doug if he was expecting someone and he said, "No." My immediate thought was, "Jaxon is outside..." Doug jumped up and ran out our bedroom door to find the boys' door open with no little ones and the child lock broken on the floor. He then runs down stairs and luckily Talon was in the living room and then goes down the next set of stairs to the front door. Upon opening it he finds a lady with our 3 1/2 year old who is wearing only his pull up and wet socks (it was raining) and his white Pottery Barn quilt wrapped around him (soaking wet...thank goodness I got it crazy cheap at Gabes). The sweet lady said she found him in the road (at the bottom of a hill that cars fly down) and so she stopped her car and started knocking on doors. Thank goodness one of the neighbors thought he might be ours and she brought him over.

Wow, all the crazy thoughts that filled my head with "what if" statements. I feel so blessed that the Lord watched over my child and brought him safely home. After Jaxon did his timeout time, I had a serious talk with him and then Doug did. Then I had Jaxon say a prayer with me and thank Heavenly Father for bringing him home safely. Today could have been the worst day of my life and I'm so thankful that it wasn't.

Doug then switched the door handles so we can lock the door from the outside now. Speaking of Doug, he had a hard day at school loosing a patient who needed 4 crowns and a root canal. He has to get 9 more crowns and 5 root canals completed before December and is stressed out! Doug rarely gets overwhelmed and stressed but this sure is doing it for him. So if anyone knows of someone who needs crowns (veneers and bridges also fall under this category) or root canals, PLEASE let them know that they can get the work done for 1/2 price at the dental school and that Doug desperately needs these patients. Also, on top of this, Doug has his first round of clinical boards this weekend and in two weeks from then, is his 2nd round of written boards. It's a challenging process to get certified and licensed as a dentist, so we are asking for prayers on his behalf.

Again with the counting blessings, at least he is in dental school pursuing the career of his choice and at least we get to go through this together as a family. Doug, I'm so thankful for all your hard work and your dedication to educate yourself in a way that will provide for our family. I admire you and support you 100%.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea. That is such a blessing that he found his way home. I hope Doug will be equally blessed with finding his needed patients. Good luck with that. I would help out if I could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, just reading that brought back stressful memories of Jon needing patients in dental school. It's amazing how things just seem to work out. Just as Heavenly Father blessed Jaxon to be safe outside (so scary!), He will bless Doug to find the patients he needs. I'll be prayin' for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad jaxon is safe! my friend duct taped her child locks together so they are impossible to pull apart or off.

    jared needs a root canal. too bad we are so far away from west virginia. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO SO thankful for that sweet lady- she probably has no idea that she was an angel this morning. Doug will make it- I have faith in him too- and I wish I were near because- you know me and a good deal- I would probably be able to give him everything he needs :) you should put an ad on craigslist- seriously. love you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy! I'm glad Jaxon was okay and that that lady was so nice to stop and help him!! Good luck to Doug, I wish I could help him out, but I'm REALLY glad I don't need any of that done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, so glad your little one is okay. I am so grateful we haven't had an experience like that yet (and am dreading the day it does happen). Thanks for you comment on my blog- being sick is definitely no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Amber, you are such an incredible mom! I would have never thought to say a prayer with Gavin after something like that to thank Heavenly Father for returning him safely. Glad he's okay!
    In answering your question, I think we'll try to make the summer trip to UT an annual thing. Hopefully we can catch each other next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel and Kate JohnsonOctober 3, 2009 at 11:43 AM

    What a blessing! I am so glad Jaxon made it home safely.

    I sure hope Doug is able to find the patients he needs...we definitely know that feeling!

    Thanks for taking care of Daniel while I have been gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about the stress of parenthood...i can't believe he left the house while you guys were asleep. knock on wood, my kids haven't done that one yet (at least not while I was unaware! i miss you amber!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, crazy story. I'm so glad everything is okay. I have the same worries of my kids liking to wander out of the house, something that has helped is we get an ADT alarm that chirps when doors open. You have to sign up for their monthly service ($34 a month) but all the equipment is free.

    P.S. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete