Sunday, May 8, 2011

Some things my mom has taught me

I gave a talk in Church today about how my mom helped teach me the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  These are some of the things I remember learning from her example and during those tender one-on-one moments of teaching.

1.  Mom loves to learn and develop talents.   Her children were expected to stimulate their minds in healthy ways such as 

music- learn to play an instrument, helps organize the mind and enhance learning throughout the day
creativity- dress up, building tents, Christmas popcorn snow, musical theater, dance
school was a priority, college was celebrated
reading- library in our house, 30min reading first= 30min mom approved tv show
writing- record what you learn in conference talks

2.  Taught us characteristics that would prepare us for our futures:
Hard work= positive self-esteem- if a job was only completed 90%, we had to do it again until it was 100% completed; if we had a school project it was to be done to best of our ability and not just thrown together; she worked with us side by side
Responsibility- we were held accountable for our choices and consequences where given, *Girl’s Camp YCL story
Resist temptation- we have the power to choose right or wrong, there will always be a consequence good or bad to every choice we make, Satan is crafty and will do everything he can to bring you down
Faith- the Lord’s will, will always be what’s best for us
Happiness- There’s a positive in every situation, look for it.
Service- seek it out, rarely sits still when she comes to visit me; be anxiously engaged in a good cause
3.  Created a Home where the Spirit dwelt.
Sensitivity to the spirit- taught us from an early age to identify recognize when the Holy Ghost is present and when he’s not,  TV and Computer programs were expected uplift us and not kick out the Holy Ghost
Uplifting Music- Classical, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, EFY songs always being played in our house
Pictures of Christ, Temples, our family decorated our walls.
Family Scripture Study- early in the morning before seminary
Family Prayer- give thanks daily as a family and on your own, create a relationship with Heavenly Father
FHE- Mom made sure it was held frequently
Attends Temple frequently- currently goes every Saturday morning
4. Mom taught me to always do my best in whatever I did. Even during hard times. You don’t give up or give into temptation, you always give it your best as that’s what we will stand accountable for, “Did we do our best?  Did we give it our all?”  That doesn’t mean you’re perfect in fact at times, it means you accept that your best is not always going to measure up.  You can’t do it alone, must rely on the Lord.  With His strength and power, all things are possible.  He’ll make your weaknesses strong and He will make up for where we lack.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you gave a wonderful talk! Wish I could have heard it in person. I had to speak today, too.

    I loved your last post. Don't you love those days? Sometimes I wonder how I make it through, and then I get sad thinking about how those days won't last forever and my house will be quiet all too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katie. The talk sounds great, and your mom is a hero. Your post just before that was certainly drama-filled. Maybe you'll motivate me to get my kids in the tub? I don't know how I'm going to handle three kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading this I remembered all these things about your mother and how I took some of them to do for my own family. Thanks for sharing and hope all is well with your family.

    ReplyDelete