Wednesday, August 31, 2011

JAXON...Kindergarten Courage

 Really...how can it be its time to start kindergarten.  This 5 year old is very creative, loves to learn, and I think he's pretty good lookin' too.  Just wish I could keep you safe in my arms forever, but into the world you go.  I prayed and fasted you'd get a great teacher whom you'd love and I think you may have, as Mrs. Gray is a seasoned K teacher of 19 years, music teacher before that, and she's been married for 33 years (that says a lot).  Here's to you my sweet boy!






I've been talking this day up all summer and you keep telling me your not going.  We checked out library books on the first day of school, met your teacher, bought new school clothes and supplies, a new super hero backpack and lunch box...and the reality was this.

You woke up, got your self ready and as we hurried out the door, you undressed yourself and said, "I'm not going."  I redressed you and basically dragged you to the bus stop.  Half way there you had a melt down and dad tried to comfort you but he started to get emotional too.

The bus came and you didn't want to get on, so I literally picked up my sobbing boy, and put you in the first seat next to two other kindergarteners, you jumped up and followed me off the bus totally distraught.  I knew if you didn't go this time, next time would be even harder, so I picked you backed up, sat you back down and said, "You have to stay in your seat.  You CAN do this!  I LOVE YOU!" and hurried off.  The bus driver quickly closed the door and off you went with my heart aching hoping you'd have the courage to be strong and enjoy your time at school.














The moment we got home Talon bursted into tears "I'm going to MISS JAAAXONNN!" Oh, boy...this was going to be an adjustment for us all.  I counted down the hours, minutes until you came home.  I couldn't wait to hear how it went.

The bus arrived.  Ali (our neighbor who is in the 3rd grade, same height as you) was holding your hand helping you off.  We all hugged you, the bus driver said you were fine once you drove off and I felt relieved you hadn't sobbed the whole way to school.  Then you and Ali joyfully held hands and ran home.



YAY FOR COURAGE! (and prayer)

3 comments:

  1. You did such a wonderful job of capturing a momentous moment in Jaxon's life! Way to go! That is usually one of those moments when I think, "Oh yeah. I should have the camera out." But I am usually too frazzled to go get it.

    And the pictures of you and Doug with Jax are so precious. I love how the blue eyes just pop out of the pictures!

    Missing our McArthurs,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amber Wow, that must have been such a hard day for you. I am glad it ended well. Hopefully he will like it more each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me tear up! So glad the day went well for him, hope you are all adjusting ok! Love you!

    ReplyDelete