Sunday, October 2, 2011

Notes from General Conference Oct. 1-2, 2011

Kids gained a cavity from "conference Bingo" and I gained the following:
Saturday Morning
Elder Scott
  • Scriptures!  I want to help my kids memorize scripture mastery right now.  Do one a day for a week.
Pres. Packer
  • To the youth you are being raised in enemy territory  
  • “All beings who have bodies have power over the adversary.”
  • you will be blessed “if” you follow God’s commandments and follow God’s promptings.
  • the voice of the Spirit comes more as a feeling than as a voice.  But if you are past feeling, you do not hear Him anymore.
  • you will not make a major mistake without being warned of the Holy Ghost.
  • assert your independence, your agency, when surrounded by others who tempt you
  • the outcome of this battle is not in question, Lucifer will loose.
Saturday Afternoon
Elder Eyring
  • Youth, do family history work and you’ll be safe guarded against the adversary
Elder Anderson
  • bearing children is a spiritual matter decided between husband and wife and the Lord, acting in faith
Brother Ardern
  • we will be held accountable for how we spend our time
  • priority from Christ: seek first to build up the kingdom of God
  • Alma: this is the time to prepare to meet God
  • E. Uchtdorf: love is spelled T.I.M.E.
  • busy= productive?
  • “don’t become compulsive finger tip communicators”
  • how sad it would be if the phone and computer drowned out scripture study and prayer
  • dedicate time to the things that matter most
Elder Cook
  • when feeling down, look up (not down), trust the Lord and rely on Him for strength
  • exercise your faith, you will not feel incapable to do His will
  • “serpent” analogy, some lack the faith that they will not be healed
  • helium “balloon”...release your burdens to the Lord
LeGrand Curtis Jr.
  • Redemption
Elder Christofferson
  • Repentance
Sunday Morning
Elder Eyring
  • stand as a witness of Christ no matter what the situation
Elder Hales
  • “Thy will be done”
  • “in His time and in His way the answers will come”
  • “let us not give up on the Lord”
  • “as we endure physical sufferings...”
  • “to all the Marys and Marthas and good Samaritans...”
  • “you are not alone in your gethsemes”
  • “wait upon Him in Faith, and shall renew their strength”
Brother Callister
  • The Book of Mormon: there is no middle ground, it's either the word of God or it's not 
  • For those questioning it's truth, read it, pray about it, ask God if it is His word
  • Things of God bring you closer to Him.  Does it (the B of M) bring you closer to Christ? or not? 
  • of course I believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, but I liked how plainly he put it
Sister Dalton
  • Father’s of Daughters, love their mothers & be guardians of virtue (yours and hers)
  • if your daughter is not home by curfew, go get her
Elder Ballard
  • use the full name of the church
President Monson-- Our modern day prophet
  • daily communication with God, build a relationship with Him
  • live in such a way for the Lord to communicate with you daily, listen to His inspiration
Sunday Afternoon
Brother Richardson
  • mirror the Holy Ghost
  • Holy Ghost teaches very personally, line upon line, here a little, there a little
  • teach people, not lessons
  • by inviting us to learn, encouraging to us your own agency
  • how do I invite others to learn for themselves
  • teachers help learner to live the gospel
To sum it up in a nutshell, testify of Christ and live His will, live with the Holy Ghost as my constant companion so I can be the mom, wife, YW leader, friend, sister, and daughter of God He wants me to be.  

Here's Jax's temple he built during conference:

2 comments:

  1. I loved your review, Amber. And I just became an adviser in the Beehives, and I'm excited about it! Your pictures of Talon are incredible, and Colton did have a guardian angel protecting him from that mirror. Thanks for being such an amazing example. I'm so glad I have you in my life, even though you live a blog away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I love your testimony! I tried listening on Sunday, but I was also studying for three tests. :( I can't wait until I can listen to all of them. For now, thanks for the post, love, love, loved it. I miss having you at church.

    ReplyDelete