Sunday, February 22, 2009

More loves: sewing and great deals!


Saturday Doug was assisting at school for the NERB clinical exam from 7:30- 5pm. He wanted to see what it was going to be like to help prep him for when he takes it next year. So to take my mind of him being gone, we had a dress alteration party at Britta's. This Saturday is the Dental School formal and several of us girls bought Ann Taylor or J. Crew dresses at Gabes for crazy cheap...$5- $30. I know rediculously cheap! But the problem was that they needed to made modest and be adjusted to fit our size. My sister in law, Kim, actually bought my dress for me a couple of months ago and I just had to take it up and in and am debating on making a bolero to go over it out of another dress that is similar to it, same fabric- different style, that I got for $5. Some girls are adding sleeves, covering low cut fronts and backs, or even redoing the entire bodice. (Note: Katie added those cap sleeves in the first picture, don't they look fabulous!) It was so fun working on our dresses together. I love creative minds and talented hands!

Also, I thought maybe my soon to be sister in law might want to use the Ann Taylor dresses I got for $5 a piece (retail for $199) for her bridesmaids, so I asked my fabulous friends if they wouldn't mind modeling them for a picture for her to see them. They each are a bit different from each other, but it's hard to tell in the picture. It was fun and we were being silly. I told Doug that we could get married again because I have enough bridesmaid dresses.

And a note to my boys: Thank you for being so wonderful while I worked on my dress. I sure appreciate your ability to play independently and happily. Jax, I love you for taking a 2 hour nap on Britta's couch but I sure didn't love it when you disobeyed mom and climbed into that tall thick bush and couldn't get down on your own. I was barely able to squeeze myself between the branches enough for you to stand on my hands for step stools. It's a good thing I've been working out. You have always been a great climber, do you think you could be a great listener too? Note: Jax said to me afterwards, "Mom, I need a tree to climb in with leaves." I said, "Ok, we'll find you a tree." And we did find a more safe one he could climb in. Later he says, "Dad, I need a bow and arrow so I can shoot a rabbit." Dad grins in delight and says, "This is the best day of my life." Like Father like Son.

The tree/bush to the right is the one he got stuck in. A good 9 feet up there! This was the first bush he climbed in, only 5 feet or so.

11 comments:

  1. Crazy kids! I'm glad Amy can't climb...yet. How funny that he wants to shot a rabbit. That would make Doug proud. Anyway, 1pm would work great for tomorrow. I figured that is what time you would say. :) See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Do I need to bring my sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the dress alterations, I know it's a lot harder than it looks. I love that your little man already wants a bow to kill a rabbit, that is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun. Glad you will have a good group to go to the formal together to make it fun because it is full of drinking and music that you can dance to with a full cup of bear in once hand...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented....seriously, you do it all! Those dresses are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me girl!! I hope you all have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dresses and your wonderful altering skills!!! Jax is so cute!! I love that he wants to shoot a rabbit, I could totally see doug smiling at that. Oh the little joys of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a bargain hunter! Five dollars?! Seriously, that's amazing. Even my Matt would be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing the dress prices, and even more amazing your dress altering skills! What a fun Valentine's weekend suprise getaway- Doug's making all the other husbands look bad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to visit you to go shopping at Gabes and get some sewing pointers! Sounds like you and Jax had a very successful day :)

    ReplyDelete