Sunday, December 13, 2009

Doug's 30th Birthday





I was feeling bad that I couldn't pull anything grand off for Doug's 30th birthday since Friday was the Ward Christmas Party (which thanks to friends, I wouldn't have been able to decorate at all because my body hurt so bad...thank you Meekers, Katie, and Doug!), Jaxon's 4th Dinosaur Museum Birthday on Saturday, and then Doug's b-day on Sunday. I did ask him what he wanted to do for it and he said he just wanted to invite his closest buddies over for dinner and eat clam chowder and cheesecake. So that's exactly what we did. My dear friends Katie and Britta (wives of the buddies) helped make the clam chowder, parmesan rolls, and berry cheesecake...it was all wonderful and I was so thankful for my friends who again saved my poor body and made the dinner and dessert.



After dinner, Doug asked his buddies, Daniel, Ryan, and Jason (all in Dental school) to look at something that was bothering him in his mouth. It was quite comical to see them be "dentists" in our living room.



I gave Doug some Army surplus ammo boxes to store and organize all his ammo in. And then gave him a Top 30 list of favorite things people like about him all from Family and Friends. Here's the list:

Douglass McArthur’s Top 30: (HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY)

  1. “He is playful, he dresses up, he is creative, and can make anything.” –Jen
  2. “His sense of humor”- Corrie
  3. “I love that he stays in touch with everyone, in many ways he is the glue that holds us together”- Lar
  4. “Favorite thing is spending time with him, personality, care free, and we have fun! Those are the best of times.”- Lar
  5. “He is so fun and has good toys.” –Trey and Isaac
  6. “I like that even though he didn’t prepare his lesson today, that he still came prepared to class.” – Emma Michaels
  7. “He’s a modern day Nephi…and a great dentist.”- Devin Daines
  8. “I like his crazy facial hair.” – Will Hunter
  9. “He’s funny. He’s just himself, easy to be around.”- Philip Brough
  10. “He’s got a genuine smile.” – Mary Brough
  11. “That he even knows who Tred Barta is (and that he wants to be Tred when he grows up). “That he gets my husband outdoors- even if it’s to go shooting.”- Britta Ellis
  12. “That Doug is such a great friend, willing to do almost anything to help.”- Katie Johnson
  13. “That he is a true friend…one you can count on for things practical and for the silly times.”- Jason Ellis
  14. “That he drives Ryan to the airport---so I don’t have to.He hehps me remember my Nacho quotes. He is a great example of handling chaos.”-Daniel Johnson
  15. “Doug is a true friend. If you need anything, he’s there no matter what.”- Ryan Ulibarri
  16. “hmmm... after thinking about this for a minute, the thing that jumps out to me is still how he let you figure out whatever you needed to with a returned missionary and patiently waited... but was right there and then made it happen. Persistence!... kindness... what a fantastic guy.”- Jordan Horrocks
  17. “Mine is -his ability to make anyone feel like he is their friend (hairy, meaty quadrapeds excluded) -and to mean it.”-Dan Wilson
  18. “He is an eternal kid and fun to be around!”- Love, Hunter
  19. “He’s the real life, handsome version of Bob the Builder. He’s Mr. Fix it, I know I can go to him for anything hands on and he either knows or will figure it out.”- Katie M.
  20. “Fun Loving. P.S. only person I know who can jump rope with his bum.”- Lori Sturgeon
  21. “He has a current Temple recommend.”- Jack Sturgeon
  22. “I have always appreciated the excellent example Doug has been to me in my life. This goes back to our days @ scout camp and his never wavering testimony. More Recently, I have found that Doug gives to me a deep seated confidence and a sense that all will go well. He always lends a listening ear and helps me to feel more reliant on the Lord and to realize my own potential. He always has a minute to spare to talk with me when it seems like the world is falling around me.” Jon M.
  23. “My favorite thing about Doug is how excited his voice is when he tells hunting stories and he has a way of knowing when I need some advice.”- Ben
  24. “Doug was the ultimate play ground and older brother toy.”- Scott
  25. “We enjoy the creative things he makes.” Mom and Dad McArthur
  26. “I love how much Doug loves to share everything. Whether it’s his knowledge or love for guns, or just his time. He’s always willing to take time for me whenever I call.”- Daniel

27. Doug makes my precious daughter happier than anyone else in the world endearing him to me forever! Doug truly loves his boys! Doug keeps life in perspective handling stress better than most!Doug is passionate about his interests - Amber, Jaxon, Talon, hunting,dentistry, knife creating, etc.Doug is sensitive to the needs of others! For example, he bought me a new (used) way out of date Jane Fonda workout video because mine was about to give up the dust. Doug puts family first! I will never have to worry about the needs of my daughter or grandchildren being taken care of . Doug is commited! Furthermore, I have a feeling that Doug would also take care of me if anything would happen to Dan. He even offered me a job in his practice! Now that was risky on his part, especially because I might seriously take him up on the offer!!Doug makes me happy! I sincerely love being around him! Doug has a strong testimony and is commited to the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Whenever you talk to Doug, he is totally present and always understanding! Doug is a great student and enjoys learning! Doug selflessly sacrifices for others - especially his wife and boys when Amber is pregnant! Doug makes the best blueberry jam in the world!!!!! I am really needing some of that right now. Doug is a "can do" guy! He will make anything work! Doug is my favorite cowboy! Doug is the best gun shooter I have ever known! Doug's fine motor skills are amazing! He uses his gift to bless the lives of others - dental work, knives, guns, bunk beds,yummy meals, etc. Doug enjoys dancing and singing! Doug is the life of a party and knows no stranger! Doug is flexible! Doug is a totally commited brother to his siblings! Doug is easy going and nonjudgmental! Doug is cute! Doug is articulate and a great story teller! Doug is a great role model for my grandchildren! Doug is an avid reader! Doug is a loyal son and friend! Doug loves unconditionally like our Savior!Doug is my hero! I could go on and on but he is only 30 this year!

Love, Mom (Carrie)---can you tell my mother adores him---

  1. “I love going to the Library with Daddy.” – Jaxon
  2. “Playing Cowboy”- Talon
  3. “Doug is my everything. He is my strength, my confidence, my love, my hope, and best friend. He is the one I know will always be there for me when life is so overwhelmingly difficult. He loves me through all physical and emotional stages. He does all he can to make life joyous for myself and our kids. He is the one I turn to for knowledge and support. He works until he is exhausted and cleans the house when I’m exhausted. He loves the Lord and lives worthily to attend the temple. He wants to raise righteous children and is persistent in his discipline. He gives me the faith that together we can bear children and raise them in love. He brings me breakfast in bed and gets up with the kids in the middle of the night. He loves me like no one else has and selflessly gives of his time, patience, and energy. I feel eternally blessed to have him as my eternal companion.” -Amber







No comments:

Post a Comment